Paint protection film provides a whole host of benefits to the body and paint job of the vehicle when it is applied. However, can it also be applied to headlights? Or is Paint Protection Film exclusive to the body of a vehicle?
In this blog, we will provide answers to the question ‘Can Paint Protection Film be used on headlights?’ In addition to helpful supplementary facts and information.
The UK automotive after-market industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion. The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy.
The UK automotive after-market industry seems to be on track to grow further, with a projected value of 574.11 billion dollars by 2030, which is over twenty times growth. With innovations in technology growing ever more sophisticated by the day, the forecast doesn’t seem to be too far off.
That’s why we at Car Specialist Customs are here to provide you with all the information you require to get the best car customisation possible, whilst being as informed as possible.
The basics of Paint Protection Film
Paint Protection film is an optional accessory you can apply to your vehicle yourself or via a professional. It is a layer made from vinyl that protects from light scratches, UV damage, and dirt/stains.
The properties of the vinyl don’t create an impenetrable layer of armour over the vehicle, but it significantly improves resistances that could cause physical marks which in some cases can be permanent.
Paint Protection film can have its effectiveness reinforced by using ceramic coating. Ceramic coating is an additional optional accessory that works in a similar way to PPF. However, this option is much more labour-intensive to remove as the ceramic coating is resistant to harsh chemicals.
Can paint protection film be used on headlights?
Yes. Paint Protection Film has the potential to be applied over headlights. It can provide the same level of protection that PPF provides for the rest of your vehicle’s body.
However, long journeys with the headlights on can affect certain types of PPF due to the heat generated, specifically those on the cheaper side of the spectrum, as heat can sometimes affect the constitution of PPF.
That being said, a specialist option for headlights already exists. These are known as Car Light Tints.
Car Light Tints provide similar levels of protection as PPF can, however, the additional benefit is that they can reduce the intensity of headlights and taillights. Some headlights are extremely bright and can be disorientating in some instances.
On occasions in which you need to have your high beams on, having a Car Light Tint will help to reduce irritation from other road users behind and opposite you. These tints are particularly useful for people who are constantly told that their headlights are too bright, even if they aren’t using high beams.
Why do headlights need protecting?
Headlights are just as vulnerable as the rest of your vehicle when it comes to scratches and suffering the effects of UV damage. Whether you opt for a Car Light Tint or PPF, you are ensuring a level of protection that is better than nothing.
What’s more, the headlights are coated with a layer of a special solution which helps to protect the acrylic from UV damage. However, over time, this solution wears off, resulting in car headlights becoming oxidised, as a result, the headlights are either yellowing or cloudy. Application of either PPF or Car Light Tints can help to prevent this.
What happens if headlights turn yellow?
As mentioned previously, headlights turn yellow or cloudy after the effects of oxidisation, but it is a problem if this happens? Unfortunately, it can be a critical issue if it is not rectified.
Yellowing/cloudy headlights create issues such as…
- Reduced visibility. – Reduced visibility is the last thing you want from your headlights. However, the cloud/yellowing prevents the headlight from being in its optimal condition to allow light to pass through as it was designed to.
- Bad upkeep – Having yellow or cloudy headlights is a natural issue most drivers will encounter if they have a vehicle for long enough. However, it can also be interpreted as the driver not caring for their vehicle. This can pose issues when it comes to reselling the vehicle.
- Intervention from the authorities – If the light emitted by your headlights falls below a certain threshold, you may be stopped by the police and made to address the issue before driving again. Depending on the severity of the issue, and the length of time it has been dim, it can contribute to a more serious reprimanding.
- Failing MOT – There is a likelihood your vehicle can fail its MOT if the headlights are falling below a certain threshold. The reason this can cause an MOT to fail is simply that a dim or broken headlight can cause accidents due to either your limited visibility or another road user/pedestrians’ visibility of your vehicle.
Where to find PPF installation
Paint protection film installation is available from established car customisation services such as Car Specialist Customs. There are many benefits gained from getting a professional installation from a service like ours. This includes…
- Pricing is relevant to the size and shape of the car.
- Professional installation ensures complete coverage, or to specification.
- Use of the right equipment and PPF, ensuring a lasting, top-quality paint protection film.
- Answers to any queries including maintenance/do’s and don’ts.
- A quick installation (depending on the vehicle size and customisations).
- Installation takes place in a clean indoor space, which is the optimum environment for PPF installation.
For a quote, or advice for any information you require regarding our PPF installation service, please don’t hesitate to contact us today.
Purchase the best paint protection film today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We will always go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We aim to have provided the correct guidance and answer the question ‘Can Paint Protection Film be used on headlights?’ Whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday to Wednesday – 10 AM—7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday to Sunday – 11 AM—7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)