Paint Protection Film, also known as PPF, is an incredibly helpful accessory to apply to your vehicle. One of the many benefits that PPF holds, is that some of them can be ‘fixed’ on occasions that it has a scratch.
In this blog, we will show you how to fix Paint Protection Film.
The UK automotive after-market industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion. The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy.
The UK automotive after-market industry seems to be on track to grow further, with a projected value of 574.11 billion dollars by 2030, which is over twenty times growth. With innovations in technology growing ever more sophisticated by the day, the forecast doesn’t seem to be too far off.
That’s why we at Car Specialist Customs are here to provide you with all the information you require to get the best car customisation possible, whilst being as informed as possible.
Is Paint Protection Film Needed?
Yes, regardless of how often you use your vehicle, and where it is used, it is fair to say that Paint Protection Film is a necessity. This is because PPF can protect in instances where you otherwise wouldn’t be aware your vehicle has been scratched.
A prime example of this is driving through the motorway and your car being scratched by wayward debris. This can be a common occurrence on motorways due to the high speeds being travelled at, and winds that can be strong on occasion. Small debris has the potential to scratch your vehicle, and most of the time, you won’t even hear a sound.
If you have the intention of selling your vehicle in the future, it makes sense that you would want to preserve the look and performance as much as possible.
Even though mileage can be a factor in your vehicle being sold at a cheaper price, there is no question that a vehicle that is at least in pristine condition aesthetically can help to drive a higher price for you. This is one of the key benefits provided by PPF.
Benefits of PPF
Benefits of Paint Protection Film Include…
- Protection from scratches, dust, dirt & stains.
- Protection against UV rays.
- Preserving the aesthetics of your vehicle.
- Long-lasting protection (depending on the level of maintenance)
- Can be handy for vehicles that are on a lease.
How to fix paint protection film
When we talk about ‘fixing’ Paint Protection Film, it generally refers to the process of removing the scratch that has appeared on it. If PPF is ripped, it can not be repaired and must be replaced.
When it comes to fixing a scratch on Paint Protection Film, you simply need to apply a heat gun to the area, and this will gradually remove the scratch.
This is because PPF becomes malleable when exposed to a certain amount of heat. By placing heat over the scratch, it allows the PPF to revert to its original shape.
Of course, you should always enquire with your installer if your PPF has this capability, as it can vary depending on the brand you opt to apply over your vehicle.
Applying too much heat over the area for a longer time than necessary will result in the PPF becoming loose in that area. You should make sure that an expert is conducting this repair if you don’t have the equipment or experience required. Although it is a simple process, one mistake could compromise your PPF.
When can Paint Protection Film not be fixed?
If your Paint Protection Film falls under the following issues, then it can not be fixed, it must be replaced…
- If there is a rip in the film itself due to vehicle damage, or any other reason.
- If the Paint Protection Film has become old and developed a hard texture.
- If the PPF has developed bubbles beneath it when it did not have it before.
- If the Paint Protection Film is peeling from the vehicle and not able to re-attach properly.
Can I make Paint Protection Film last longer?
Yes. Paint Protection Film can be made to last longer with correct and consistent maintenance. This includes…
- Cleaning the vehicle routinely in line with your usage of the vehicle, making sure to avoid pressure washers or car washes that don’t cater to PPF.
- Applying ceramic coating over the PPF. This reinforces the effectiveness of the PPF whilst also giving the vehicle the additional benefits provided by ceramic coating.
- Parking the vehicle indoors wherever and whenever you can.
- Make sure to clean the vehicle of any new stains as soon as you can. This is because some stains such as bird droppings can have an acidic reaction to the PPF, which creates holes.
- Driving carefully, making sure to prevent any instances your vehicle can be damaged as much as you possibly can.
Who installs Paint Protection Film?
Paint protection film installation is available from established car customisation services such as Car Specialist Customs. There are many benefits gained from getting a professional installation from a service like ours. This includes…
- Pricing is relevant to the size and shape of the car.
- Professional installation ensures complete coverage, or to specification.
- Use of the right equipment and PPF, ensuring a lasting, top-quality paint protection film.
- Answers to any queries including maintenance/do’s and don’ts.
- A quick installation (depending on the vehicle size and customisations).
- Installation takes place in a clean indoor space, which is the optimum environment for PPF installation.
Can I install PPF myself?
Yes. It is entirely possible to install PPF by yourself. However, it can be exceptionally difficult if you do not have the required equipment and experience. In some cases, PPF needs to be applied by more than one person, though this depends on the size of the vehicle.
How much does PPF cost?
Invest in Paint Protection Film today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We will always go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We aim to have provided the correct guidance and shown you how to fix Paint Protection Film. Whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday to Wednesday – 10 AM—7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday to Sunday – 11 AM—7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)