When it comes to window tinting, we naturally want tinting solutions that last long.
In this blog, we will be answering the question ‘What window tint lasts the longest?’ This is vital for anyone considering this customization option, knowing your options can help you make an informed choice on what to get for your vehicle.
At Car Specialist Customs, we are proud to offer a wide variety of options when it comes to making your car a unique expression of who you are. We are excited to share with you the option of window tinting.
The UK automotive aftermarket industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
Is window tinting legal?
Yes, window tinting is 100% legal, however, you may be surprised to learn that it actually varies depending on where you choose to apply the tint. Regardless, there are set laws highlighted by the UK government in regard to tinting. There are different legal requirements for the front, back & side windows of your vehicle. We will explain in further detail below.
How dark can I tint my front windows?
Legally, vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later must have a front windscreen that lets in at least 75% of light through. The front side windows must let at least 70% of the light through.
For vehicles first used before 1 April 1985, the front windscreen and front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.
You could face a penalty if your car windscreen or windows are incorrectly tinted. It is illegal to fit or sell glass that breaks the rules on tinted windows. It is also illegal to sell a vehicle already fitted with glass that breaks the rules.
How dark can I tint my back windows?
There are no legal requirements for the tint of a back window or back passenger windows.
Car Specialist Customs will always advise you with legal recommendations for window tinting, take a browse through our options to see how you can add the next level of elegance to your car. Still unsure? Check out some alternatives below.
What is the VLT?
The window tint spectrum comes in percentages, which refers to visible light transmission (VLT). VLT is the amount of light that can pass through your window. So, if you choose a 15% tint, this means that 15% of visible light can get through.
As a result, the remaining 85% of light won’t pass.
Car Specialist Customs, alongside being a qualified team of car customisers also have a range of tinting options for you to consider, with our options ranging from 70% to 5%. This is done in accordance with the legal parameters set out by the UK government.
It must also be noted that whilst it isn’t illegal to sell a darker film for window tinting purposes, it is illegal to put on certain parts of your vehicle. Which may result in you being stopped by the police. This can result in points, and/or removal of the tinting before driving again.
What window tint lasts the longest?
Window tints can last anywhere between 1-10 years, there are various factors that contribute to the length of time your tinting can last for. These are:
- The brand and type of tinting that is used
- The level and diligence given during the application process
- Not tampering with the tint once applied
- Allowing the tint to fully dry before moving the windows.
Below is a list of types of different materials you can use for your window tint, but please be aware that these tints can all last within the timeframe mentioned previously as long as the factors we mentioned before are not an issue.
What type of tint can I get?
The film inside window tints can be made of different materials: you can get a ceramic film, metallised window film, carbon film, dyed window film, and hybrid tint film.
- Ceramic tint offers the best result out of all window tints. It contains tiny nano-ceramic particles that are invisible to the naked eye but are strong enough to block 99% of the sun’s damaging Ultraviolet rays. Considered the overall best window tint.
- Metallised window tint is comprised of metallic particles, which reflect heat. It is scratch-resistant and shinier than other window tints. However, metallised window tint can interfere with mobile phones and radio transmissions.
- Carbon tint comes with a matte black finish and does not contain metal properties. It blocks infrared light from entering the car and helps keep your car cooler.
- Dyed window film is a window tint that has been coated with dyes to create darkness or colour. Dyed window tints come in all colours but are mostly black, grey, blue or purple.
- The hybrid tint film is made using both metallised tints and dyed tints. It looks opaque from the outside and is cheaper than metallised window tint.
What is a chameleon tint?
Chameleon tints are a vibrant and unique option in customising your car, the dynamic properties of the films give a ‘Chameleon’ like effect to the windscreen resulting in an area of colours that changes as the day does.
The selling point of this particular tint is that it retains the original benefits that come with a standard window tint. With options in aqua blue, Cadbury purple and sunset orange, take a look for yourself on our site.
Our tinting process is as follows:
- We analyse the space you would like to be tinted
- We make the necessary adjustments to our tinting films so application is smooth and hassle-free
- We apply the tinting & make sure there are no mistakes.
- We will then guide you in regard to the maintenance of the tinting.
Want to get in touch and make your vehicle sleek and unique? Get your quote for a tint today.
Buy long lasting tinting today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We always will go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope our starlight service has helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘What window tint lasts the longest?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday – Wednesday – 10 AM – 7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday – Sunday – 11 AM – 7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)