Car customisation options sometimes have multiple names for the same thing. Whether its a colloquialism or a purposeful rebranding, you can find all the information you require on our blogs.
This blog will be answering the question ‘What is paint protection film?’
The UK automotive after market industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
That’s why we at Car Specialist Customs are here to provide you with all the information you require to get the best car customisation possible, whilst being as informed as possible.
Protecting your vehicle
Generally, most of us are aware that we can get after market security systems for our vehicles, that can help prevent our vehicle from theft. But what about if we want to prevent damage to our vehicles? There’s no additional ‘armour’ you can buy realistically.
You can not compromise the aerodynamics and mobility of the vehicle by reinforcing it with a heavy outer casing over its body work. So what is the solution?
The solution is a compromise, and this compromise is achieved through a vehicle wrap. Vehicle wraps can provide protection against light scuffs and scratches, whilst preserving the vehicle’s paint job.
That’s where the functional benefits end, but there is more than one type of vehicle wrap you can get, aside from a clear vehicle wrap, you can get…
- A colour wrap – This is a vehicle wrap that changes the colour or tone of your vehicle, it requires the same level of maintenance as a clear wrap and can provide the same level of protection too.
- A custom wrap – Holding the benefits of the previously mentioned wrap, a custom wrap can be anything you want it to be (within reason). This wrap can be used for things such as advertising a business on a vehicle.
What is paint protection film?
Paint protection film is another name for a clear vehicle wrap. Paint protection film, or PPF for short, is given this name in order to display this key benefit of having a clear vehicle wrap. This acts as a point of interest for someone to get their car wrapped.
Whether you call it a clear vehicle wrap, or PPF, or paint protection film, you can expect the following benefits from having it on your vehicle.
- It prevents light scratches.
- If maintained correctly, can last from 5–7 years.
- It preserves the paint and helps to prevent fading.
- Furthermore, it can protect your vehicle from stains.
Can a leased vehicle have paint protection film?
It is always good practice to double-check with your lease provider before committing to this customisation option. However, because paint protection film is not permanent, and can help to preserve the condition of your vehicle, we can’t see why a lease provider would be against it.
Can I clean a vehicle with paint protection film?
Yes, although the methods would be slightly different, if you wash the vehicle yourself, or go to a car wash, ensure that the cleaning products used are ‘vehicle wrap friendly’.
A lot of car cleaning products contain chemicals that can alter the composition of the vehicle wrap, negating its effectiveness and changing its condition. If this has happened to your vehicle, you can expect the vehicle wrap to…
- Start peeling
- Become Dry
- Change texture
- Not stick on correctly
- Have bubbles or holes
Does removing paint protection film damage a vehicle?
Not exactly. As long as the vehicle wrap has been applied correctly, and is removed correctly, it will not cause damage to the paintwork. However, there can be certain circumstances in which the paint can be affected. This includes…
- Removing the vehicle wrap the wrong way can damage the paintwork.
- Certain chemicals, or contaminants from things you wouldn’t expect (like bird poo!) can adversely impact the vehicle wrap, damaging it and the paint beneath.
- Using low-quality vehicle wraps can also impact the paintwork.
- Stencilling is a part of applying the vehicle wrap, usually this is done with a sharp blade, if the applicator is inexperienced, they could accidentally scrape your vehicle with the blade during the application process.
- If your vehicle has a sub-par paint job, or if the paint beneath the wrap is already fading or influenced in any way, it could further damage your vehicle’s paint job upon removing the wrap.
- Vehicle wraps require specific products in order for a deep clean. Not being aware of the products being used to clean your vehicle can impact the paint job of the vehicle. Be sure to look out for ‘wrap friendly’ products.
- If your vehicle is already dented or misshapen before applying the vehicle wrap, there is a chance that it could alter the paint underneath the wrap. Besides this, wrapping a dented vehicle will likely result in air bubbles being trapped.
How to wrap a vehicle
Using established vehicle modifiers is the best way to get your vehicle wrapped. Due to their experience, and the equipment they have on hand, there is less room for error.
When we wrap your vehicle, we make sure to…
- Discuss what kind of wrap you want, and where you would like it.
- Measure the vehicle / relevant areas where the wrap will be applied.
- Clean the vehicle / relevant areas before applying
- Begin our process of application to your vehicle
- Inform you of any maintenance / dos and don’ts when it comes to the longevity of the wrap.
What is the price for a vehicle wrap?
The cost of our vehicle wraps are subject to the size of your vehicle, the style of wrapping you want, in addition to any specific areas you may want to wrap. (If it isn’t around the whole body of the vehicle).
Contact us today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We will always go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘What is paint protection film?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday to Wednesday – 10 AM—7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday to Sunday – 11 AM—7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)