Vehicle wraps offer a hassle-free option for anyone wanting to upgrade the design of their vehicle, but is a vehicle wrap cheaper than paint?
The UK automotive aftermarket industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion. The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
What is a vehicle wrap?
A vehicle wrap is an alternate way of customising the body of your vehicle, instead of using paint. Vehicle wraps are applied in a similar fashion to window tints, albeit in a different way.
You may be familiar with vehicle wraps if you watch any kind of official racing, whether that’s F1 or anything else, vehicle wraps are used to place the labels of the racer’s sponsors on their vehicle.
Vehicle wraps are completely customisable and can add patterns, effects, or solid blocks of colours/ clear film to either your whole vehicle or specific parts.
Below are the three main types of vehicle wraps
- Advertising wraps: used to showcase a business’s key information and brand. These are common on vans but can be used on the majority of vehicles.
- Clear vinyl wrapping: used to preserve and protect the original paintwork but keep the vehicle’s original colour and finish.
- Colour vinyl wrapping: an opaque film used to change a car’s colour or finish.
Here are the areas that can be covered individually with a vehicle wrap.
- Fog lights
- Roof bar
- Rear diffuser
- Around windows
- Front splitters
Are there any benefits to a vehicle wrap?
Vehicle wraps hold no performance benefit to your vehicle, only aesthetic. With that being said, vehicle wraps can generally protect the covered areas of your vehicle from superficial scratches, chips and UV rays. Additionally, the wrap can be removed, which is ideal for someone under a long-term lease of their vehicle.
What’s the difference between a good and bad vehicle wrap?
Good vehicle wraps…
- Do not move or come loose once they are set.
- Has no bubbles or inconsistencies.
- Is perfectly wrapped in the desired areas.
- Do not affect the functionality of the areas it is covering on the vehicles.
- Does not damage the vehicle’s paintwork when it is being removed.
Bad vehicle wraps…
- Are not set in the places you wanted them to be set. (Bad stenciling.)
- They aren’t stuck onto the vehicle properly.
- There are bubbles between the wrap and the vehicle’s body.
- It affects the functionality of the areas it is in. (Doors don’t open or close properly etc.)
- Damages the paintwork when it is being removed
Is a vehicle wrap cheaper than paint?
Yes, vehicle wraps have the potential to be cheaper than paint. This is due to the fact that wraps can be applied to specific areas. Paint on the other hand generally requires layers and a lot more time. Prices can also rise depending on the paint you choose.
Of course, the size of your vehicle also comes into play when determining which option is going to be cheaper. Somebody with a small vehicle shouldn’t pay the same price for a wrap as someone with a large 4×4 for example.
We make our prices fair and reasonable for our customers, want to find out how much a vehicle wrap could be on your vehicle? Simply head to our website and get a quote today.
What if the wrap isn’t good?
If the wrap isn’t to your standards, we can always find a solution with you. Regardless, our vehicle wraps have a 3-year warranty on them as standard, giving you peace of mind and a guarantee of quality.
Is vehicle wrapping legal?
Yes, vehicle wrapping, whether that is full or partial, is entirely legal. It is treated in the same manner as re-spraying your vehicle to give it a new colour.
The only exception to this is wrapping your vehicle in a manner which can deceive other road users into believing you are in a police vehicle or any other key-service operative. Doing so can have a few results, and is at the discretion of the officer in charge at that moment and what you were doing, this could result in…
- Being charged with fraud.
- Points on your licence.
- Removal of the wrapping.
- Towing of your vehicle.
- Suspending from driving until a later date.
- Being arrested.
Can anyone wrap a vehicle?
In theory, yes. Anybody with the correct equipment and materials can wrap their vehicles, but if they don’t have or know the technique and process required to complete the task, they will have wasted their money and time.
Although vehicle wrapping may not look like a complicated process, it is. There are many factors you have to be aware of in order to get a perfect wrap, and just one mistake can set you back to the beginning.
It is always recommended to seek the guidance or service of an expert. This is where Car Specialist Customs enters the equation.
The best place to get a vehicle wrap
Our combined years of experience in wrapping vehicles of various shapes and sizes, along with styles of wrap, puts us in the peak position to add that extra layer of character to your vehicle. When we wrap your vehicle, we make sure to…
- Discuss what wrap you want, and where you would like it.
- Measure the vehicle / relevant areas where the wrap will be applied.
- Clean the vehicle / relevant areas before applying
- Begin our process of application to your vehicle
- Inform you of any maintenance / do’s and don’ts when it comes to the longevity of the wrap.
Can a vehicle wrap be damaged?
Yes, vehicle wraps can be damaged, here are the scenarios that can damage a vehicle wrap.
- Acid can damage the vinyl of a vehicle wrap.
- Surprisingly, bird droppings have the potential to affect a wrap if not removed immediately.
- Intentional scrapes.
- High-velocity impacts.
- Car washes (unless by hand.)
Get your vehicle wrapped today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We always will go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘Is a vehicle wrap cheaper than paint?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here: