Did you know that tinting isn’t exclusive to your car windows? It can actually be done on your headlights too, but what’s the point in doing that? We’re going to address that, as well as ‘how to hint headlights’ in today’s blog.
This is an important question to explore for those considering this customisation option. Of course, we want to be able to customise our vehicles without presenting a hazard to other road users, and ourselves.
The UK automotive aftermarket industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
Headlight tints explained
Headlight tinting is the process of applying a specialised film on the surface of a vehicle’s headlight or rear lights, this process results in a variety of benefits including:
- Adds a refined aesthetic to your car
- Can help reduce glare from your headlights
- In the event of a crash, the adhesive may prevent the glass from shattering everywhere.
You can buy tinting film online or through a service that specialises in car customisation, we recommend the latter as there is less room for mistakes when dealing with experts like us.
Headlight tints and window tints are not the same, they have different materials that allow the respective effects to take place on where they are placed. Be sure to use the right tint for your vehicle.
Effects of cheap tinting
If you buy a low-quality tint film, then it may be more prone to bubbling, cracking, fading or peeling. Our tints are guaranteed to be top quality, with varying options in strength, with installation directly from us.
For peace of mind, with no reduction in quality and application, we are the superior option for any and all of your tinting needs, whether that is a window or light tinting! Our services are always done to the legal requirement so you don’t have to worry.
Simply get in touch with us to organise your tinting.
How to tint headlights
There are two ways to tint your headlights, either going to a reputable installer such as Car Specialist Customs, or buying and applying the tinting yourself.
If this is the option you’re choosing, here is what you need first:
- A gallon or so of warm soapy water (to be used in a spray bottle if available)
- A dry, clean cloth
- A razor blade (cuthroat)
- Your tinting sheet
- A squeegee
- An indoor space (outdoor spaces are okay, but it has to be clean and away from any dust or dirt.
Now that you have these items, here’s how to tint the headlights.
- Begin to clean the headlights with soapy water. Use the razor blade to remove any grime and dust that has built up.
- Use the dry cloth to wipe the headlights until they are dry.
- After determining the adhesive side of the tint, apply the soapy water to first headlight you want to apply the tint on.
- Slowly unfold the tinting over the headlight making sure there is 1 or 2 inches of film over the edges of your headlights before cutting.
- Begin to cut the tinting, make sure there is still 1-2 inches of tint after the cutting.
- Spray the film of tinting you have just applied this means that the back and front of the tint will now be wet.
- Using your razor, slice the tinting against the edges of the headlight, whilst using the squeegee to flush out any air bubbles behind the tinting.
- Remove the excess tint, if done correctly, you should have your tinting covering past your headlight. At this point, leave the tinting to dry naturally, don’t tamper with the tinting after this as this will affect the tinting if it isn’t dry.
- Repeat the process for other windows you wish to tint.
What is the easiest way to tint headlight?
The most simple way to install headlight tints is to seek the service of a professional service such as Car Specialist Customs. Using experts to apply your tinting for you (as long as they are experienced and reputable) will mitigate the risks that occur when doing this yourself.
Getting help from an expert also means that they will have specialist tools for this job, and can walk you through the do’s and don’ts and other aftercare requirements.
The cost of a headlight tint
Our headlight tints cost between £50-90, and our price range covers the high-quality film we use in various styles that are within the legal threshold. This also covers our expert installation, here’s a brief overview of our process.
- We review with you the headlight tinting options we offer and decide on the tint you like the most.
- We assess your headlights to have an understanding of the most efficient way to install the tint
- We clean the headlights properly to ensure the tint will stick properly.
- We apply the tint, making the necessary cuts so the tint fits perfectly on your lights.
- We then give you guidance on the best way to look after your tinting, and what to avoid.
If you have any further questions about our tinting process, be sure to get into contact with us today!
Are headlight tints legal?
Yes. Although headlight tints are generally legal, there are circumstances in which they can be deemed illegal. If your tint is more than 50% tinted, it can be seen as illegal and may result in you being stopped, having the tints removed, and/or face legal consequences.
Why is a headlight tint over 50% illegal?
Purchase headlight tints today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We always will go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have shown you how to tint headlights, whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday – Wednesday – 10 AM – 7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday – Sunday – 11 AM – 7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)