For budding customisation enthusiasts, or for those who prefer the DIY approach, adding window tints can be a fun experience. Aside from the practical benefits of window tints, you can save yourself some money by doing this yourself.
In this blog, we will be answering the question ‘How much does window tinting cost?’ This is vital for anyone considering this customization option, knowing your options can help you make an informed choice on what to get for your vehicle.
At Car Specialist Customs, we are proud to offer a wide variety of options when it comes to making your car a unique expression of who you are. We are excited to share with you the option of window tinting. Read on to find out more.
What is window tinting?
Window tinting is the process of applying a specialised film over the glass of your windscreens/windows. This results in less distraction by sunlight, UV rays, and slight protection in instances where your window is smashed, as the film is known to prevent the glass from shattering over you once smashed.
What is VLT?
The window tint spectrum comes in percentages, which refers to visible light transmission (VLT). VLT is the amount of light that passes through your window. So, if you choose a 15% tint, this means that 15% of visible light can get through.
As a result, the remaining 85% of light won’t pass.
Car Specialist Customs, alongside being a qualified team of car customisers also have a range of tinting options for you to consider, with our options ranging from 70% to 5%. This is done in accordance with the legal parameters set out by the UK government.
It must also be noted that whilst it isn’t illegal to sell a darker film for window tinting purposes, it is illegal to put it on certain parts of your vehicle. Which may result in you being stopped by the police. This can result in points, and/or removal of the tinting before driving again.
How to tint car windows
It is possible for you to tint you car windows yourself, although we don’t recommend this for beginners, as you may end up making a mistake and having to start again (don’t say we didn’t warn you!) This is a time consuming process, which is why it is best left to experts.
If this is the option you’re choosing, here is what you need first:
- A gallon or so of warm soapy water (to be used in a spray bottle if available)
- A dry, clean cloth
- A razor blade (cuthroat)
- Your tinting sheet
- A squeegee
- An indoor space (outdoor spaces are okay, but it has to be clean and away from any dust or dirt.
Now that you have these items, here’s how to tint the windows.
- Be sure to remove any stickers before beginning the process & then vacuum your car’s interior
- Begin to clean the windows with soapy water. Lower your vehicle’s window, so you can clean the top of it. Use the razor blade to remove any grime and dust that has built up. Do both sides of all the windows.
- Use the dry cloth to wipe the windows until they are dry.
- Roll the window up and prepare your tinting by figuring out which side is the adhesive (sticky) side.
- After determining the adhesive side of the tint, apply the soapy water to the outside of your window once again. But do not wipe it dry after this time.
- Slowly unfold the tinting over the window, making sure there is 2 to 3 inches of film over the edges of your window. Press tinting against the areas of your window.
- Begin to cut the tinting so you have a piece that is still a couple of inches over your window in each direction.
- Spray the film of tinting you have just applied and cut, this means that the back and front of the tint will now be wet.
- Using your razor, slice the tinting against the edges of the window, whilst using the squeegee to flush out any air bubbles behind the tinting.
- Remove the excess tint, if done correctly, you should have your tinting covering your whole window. At this point, leave the tinting to dry naturally, don’t use the windows of your car as this will affect the tinting if it isn’t dry.
- Repeat the process for other windows you wish to tint.
What is the easiest way to tint car windows?
The most simple way to install car window tints is to seek the service of a professional service such as Car Specialist Customs. Using experts to apply your tinting for you (as long as they are experienced and reputable) will mitigate the risks that occur when doing this yourself.
Getting help from an expert also means that they will have specialist tools for this job, and can walk you through the do’s and don’ts and other aftercare requirements.
Window tint legalities
Window tinting is 100% legal, however, you may be surprised to learn that it actually varies depending on where you choose to apply the tint. Regardless, there are set laws highlighted by the UK government in regard to tinting. There are different legal requirements for the front, back & side windows of your vehicle.
How dark can I tint my front windows?
Legally, vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later must have a front windscreen that lets in at least 75% of light through. The front side windows must let at least 70% of the light through.
For vehicles first used before 1 April 1985, the front windscreen and front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.
You could face a penalty if your car windscreen or windows are incorrectly tinted. It is illegal to fit or sell glass that breaks the rules on tinted windows. It is also illegal to sell a vehicle already fitted with glass that breaks the rules.
How dark can I tint my back windows?
There are no legal requirements for the tint of a back window or back passenger windows.
Tint your windows today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We always will go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope our starlight service has helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘How to tint car windows?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday – Wednesday – 10 AM – 7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday – Sunday – 11 AM – 7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)