Headlight tints are a popular and subtle customisation option, and it isn’t required for a professional to install them, you can do it yourself (if you’re feeling up for it!) That’s why in this blog we will be sharing with you how to put a headlight tint on.
This is an important question to explore for those considering this customisation option. Of course, we want to be able to customise our vehicles without presenting a hazard to other road users, and ourselves.
The UK automotive aftermarket industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
What is headlight tinting?
Headlight tinting is the process of applying a specialised film on the surface of a vehicle’s headlight or rear lights, this process results in a variety of benefits including:
- Adds a refined aesthetic to your car
- Can help reduce glare from your headlights
- In the event of a crash, the adhesive may prevent the glass from shattering everywhere.
You can buy tinting film online or through a service that specialises in car customisation, we recommend the latter as there is less room for mistakes when dealing with experts like us.
Are headlight tints legal?
Yes. Although headlight tints are generally legal, there are circumstances in which they can be deemed illegal. If your tint is more than 50% tinted, it can be seen as illegal and may result in you being stopped, having the tints removed, and/or face legal consequences.
Why is a headlight tint over 50% illegal?
How to put headlight tint on?
A headlight tint isn’t like putting a sticker on, and it’s not a process that can be done instantly. If you want to put a headlight tint on yourself, here’s what you need to do it
- Your chosen headlight tint
- A gallon or so of warm soapy water (to be used in a spray bottle if available)
- A dry, clean cloth
- A razor blade (cuthroat)
- Your tinting sheet
- A squeegee
- An indoor space (outdoor spaces are okay, but it has to be clean and away from any dust or dirt.
Now that you have these items, here’s how to tint the headlights.
- Begin to clean the headlights with soapy water. Use the razor blade to remove any grime and dust that has built up.
- Use the dry cloth to wipe the headlights until they are dry.
- After determining the adhesive side of the tint, apply the soapy water to first headlight you want to apply the tint on.
- Slowly unfold the tinting over the headlight making sure there is 1 or 2 inches of film over the edges of your headlights before cutting.
- Begin to cut the tinting, make sure there is still 1-2 inches of tint after the cutting.
- Spray the film of tinting you have just applied this means that the back and front of the tint will now be wet.
- Using your razor, slice the tinting against the edges of the headlight, whilst using the squeegee to flush out any air bubbles behind the tinting.
- Remove the excess tint, if done correctly, you should have your tinting covering past your headlight. At this point, leave the tinting to dry naturally, don’t tamper with the tinting after this as this will affect the tinting if it isn’t dry.
- Repeat the process for other windows you wish to tint.
Can I get headlight tints installed for me?
Yes, you can get headlight tints bought and installed through reputable customisers such as Car Specialist Customs, our process is essentially the same as what has just been highlighted, however, there are a few differences.
Our headlight tints cost between £50-90, and our price range covers the high-quality film we use in various styles that are within the legal threshold. This also covers our expert installation, here’s a brief overview of our process.
- We review with you the headlight tinting options we offer and decide on the tint you like the most.
- We assess your headlights to have an understanding of the most efficient way to install the tint
- We clean the headlights properly to ensure the tint will stick properly.
- We apply the tint, making the necessary cuts so the tint fits perfectly on your lights.
- We then give you guidance on the best way to look after your tinting, and what to avoid.
If you have any further questions about our tinting process, be sure to get into contact with us today!
Are headlight tints the same as window tints?
Although they seem extremely similar, it may actually surprise you to find out they are actually not the same at all.
The first difference is in their function:
- Window tints are used to reduce UV rays from the sun into the vehicle, which also keeps the car cooler. Window tints also reduce glare from the sun and other vehicles, reducing distraction and visual impairments on the road.
- Headlight tints provide a sleek aesthetic whilst reducing the glare from a headlight, not only does this help other road users who may be affected by your headlights, but it also proves to be useful for drivers who find their headlights too strong.
The second and most important difference is that both tints are made from different materials, meaning you can’t use a window tint for a headlight, or a headlight tint over your windows, as the intended effects will not happen, and you run the risk of damaging your vehicle.
Where to buy headlight tints
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We always will go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have shown you how to put headlight tint on, whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday – Wednesday – 10 AM – 7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday – Sunday – 11 AM – 7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)