For those considering purchasing a vehicle wrap, knowing how to apply it, or where you can apply it can save you a lot of time. Can you apply a vehicle wrap yourself? Or should you only go to a professional?
In this blog, we will answer the question ‘How to apply vehicle wrap?’
The UK automotive after market industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
That’s why we at Car Specialist Customs are here to provide you with all the information you require to get the best car customisation possible, whilst being as informed as possible.
What is a vehicle wrap?
- They provide a level of protection for the area of installation, the protection is from superficial scratches and UV damage.
- Vehicle wraps provide the ability to change the colour of your vehicle, or apply designs to your vehicle without the need of applying paint.
- A vehicle wrap can protect your vehicle from stains.
What kind of vehicle wraps can you get?
There are three styles of vehicle wraps, they are…
- Clear – Clear vehicle wraps are hardly noticeable, this is ideal if you are after the protection provided by vehicle wraps without changing the aesthetic of the vehicle.
- Colour wraps – A colour vehicle wraps can effectively change the colour or tone of your whole vehicle, or wherever the wrap is applied. Negating the need for using paint.
- Advertising / custom wraps – These wraps serve to display a design, which could either be an advertisement, or a custom design from the customer.
Can I apply a vehicle wrap on a leased car?
As vehicle wraps are easily removable, and help to prevent UV damage and superficial marks and stains, the likelihood of your lease provider allowing you to apply the wrap is high. However, you should get in contact with them and ask directly before making a decision.
In some occasions, especially if your vehicle wrap is a custom design, your lease provider may not allow the wrap to take place, it depends entirely on your design and your lease provider’s policies.
How to apply vehicle wrap?
There are two methods when it comes to applying a vehicle wrap, you can either do it yourself, or get it applied by qualified professionals such as Car Specialist Customs. Below, we will give you a brief overview of both options.
So when we wrap your vehicle, we make sure to…
- Discuss what kind of wrap you want, and where you would like it.
- Measure the vehicle / relevant areas where the wrap will be applied.
- Clean the vehicle / relevant areas before applying
- Begin our process of application to your vehicle
- Inform you of any maintenance / dos and don’ts when it comes to the longevity of the wrap.
Self application is a fairly extensive process, especially if you do not have the required equipment and space in order to apply the wrap. There are many steps to follow, you can click here to get an understanding of the full application process, if you want to do it yourself.
What is the cost of a vehicle wrap?
Vehicle wraps vary in cost due to a few factors. These are…
- The size of your vehicle.
- The type of vehicle wrap you require.
- If the wrap has any custom designs included.
Additionally, some suppliers may have their own flat fee before considering the factors mentioned above. Do your research and find the price that is right for you before committing to getting a vehicle wrap.
Is it cheaper to paint a vehicle?
Painting a vehicle is likely to be a more expensive option in comparison to applying a vehicle wrap. In addition, a vehicle wrap can easily be removed if you don’t like the colour. However, paint can be a lot more difficult to remove.
What is the most expensive vehicle wrap?
The most expensive vehicle wrap is chrome. This is due in part because of the high cost of the materials used. Of course, not wasting any trimmings from this wrap would be a higher priority purely due to the cost of the materials, application must be perfect.
This in turn contributes to the high value of this vehicle wrap. This particular wrap is exclusive to certain car wrap applicators, most likely who deal with premium vehicles, and premium customisation exclusively.
How long does a vehicle wrap last?
Vehicle wraps can last between 5 and 7 years as long it is well maintained. That being said, if you neglect your vehicle wrap, it will not last long at all. Here are some signs that your vehicle wrap is on its way out…
- Your vehicle wrap is peeling.
- The colours have faded on your wrap.
- The texture of the wrap has become harder
- You notice new air bubbles beneath the vehicle wrap.
- The wrap does not have the same sticking strength as before.
When can’t you get a vehicle wrap?
There are a few rare occasions in which a vehicle wrap is not suitable to apply to your vehicle, here are the reasons that can prevent you from getting a vehicle wrap.
- If your vehicle has just been painted and hasn’t dried.
- If your vehicle has significant dents. A vehicle wrap can be applied, but there will be air bubbles within or around the dented area.
- If the vehicle is not yours, and/or you don’t have permission from the owner to have a wrap applied.
- If you already have a vehicle wrap applied to the vehicle. The old wrap must be removed
Purchase a vehicle wrap today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We will always go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘How to apply vehicle wrap?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday to Wednesday – 10 AM—7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday to Sunday – 11 AM—7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)