Paint protection film provides valuable benefits to any vehicle it is applied to, it can last up to 7 years when treated with care. So what’s the price of it? Is it worth it?
In this blog, we will address the question ‘How much is paint protection film?’
The UK automotive after market industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
That’s why we at Car Specialist Customs are here to provide you with all the information you require to get the best car customisation possible, whilst being as informed as possible.
What is the point of paint protection film?
The point, or purpose of paint protection film, is to protect the paint job of your vehicle by applying a thin layer of transparent vinyl that acts as a shield. This film shield prevents your vehicle’s paint job from being affected by
- Light scratches – Scratches on your vehicle can occur whilst driving casually, they can come from debris on the road, nature, and more.
- Dust, dirt and grime – Dust dirt and grime, if left unattended make your vehicle appear dirty and uncared for. This can leave a bad impression on others, and have the potential to harm someone in or around your vehicle who has a vulnerable immune system.
- UV rays from the sun. — UV rays affect your vehicle’s paint over time, which results in the paint job looking faint and imbalanced compared to how it was originally.
What else does paint protection film do?
If you apply paint protection film to your vehicle, and care for it, your vehicle will look better. Now that may be irrelevant to some, but for those looking to sell their vehicle on, it could be a priceless benefit.
One of the overarching benefits of paint protection film, is that it can help retain some of the value of your vehicle.
Vehicles lose value the more they are used. And when it comes to selling, first impressions are everything. If you were to buy a used car, you would be justified in demanding a lower price if the vehicle did not look well maintained.
Similarly, if a vehicle has been properly maintained aesthetically (and mechanically) during its usage, it would be harder for a potential buyer to haggle for a reduced price. They would have to search harder for a reason that can justify a cheaper price.
This is why paint protection film can be a massive benefit for those who are looking to get the edge when selling their vehicle in the future.
How much is paint protection film?
Paint protection film will vary in cost depending on the following factors…
- What is the size of the vehicle it will be applied to? A larger vehicle would require more PPF, in addition to more work, depending on how large the vehicle actually is.
- Will it be coloured? Coloured vehicle wraps offer a similar if not the same level of protection as PPF, but the variety and styles of colour can mean that it has every chance of being more expensive than PPF.
- Is there additional work that needs doing? There are some services a PPF installer will not do. However, some may charge an additional cost to remove your old PPF, or correct any issues such as scratches and light dents before applying the PPF, which will likely cost more in total.
You should always be weary of a paint protection film applicator who offers one set price for any and all kinds of vehicle wraps. This is because they may have just purchased a cheap wrap material, and are making a profit regardless.
The best way to see if someone is legitimate or not is to find their previous customers and make enquiries through them.
Is it cheaper to apply paint protection film myself?
In essence, yes. But that is only if you have all the equipment you need on hand already, as well as an appropriate indoor space to apply the film to your vehicle.
If you’ve never done it before, there will likely be an element of trial and error, which could end up costing you a few more purchases of paint protection film.
If you don’t have the expertise, equipment or space, installing PPF yourself could end up being more expensive than an installation, and definitely take longer.
Professional paint protection film services
Using established vehicle modifiers is the best way to get your vehicle wrapped with paint protection film. Due to their experience, and the equipment they have on hand, there is less room for error.
When we wrap your vehicle, we make sure to…
- Discuss what kind of wrap you want, and where you would like it.
- Measure the vehicle / relevant areas where the wrap will be applied.
- Clean the vehicle / relevant areas before applying
- Begin our process of application to your vehicle
- Inform you of any maintenance / dos and don’ts when it comes to the longevity of the wrap.
You shouldn’t get paint protection film if…
- Your paint is peeling.
- You have freshly painted your vehicle.
- You have dents in your vehicle.
- Your vehicle has scratches that have removed the paint.
If you go ahead with getting paint protection film despite this, then your vehicle’s paint job can become affected even more detrimentally, be cautious of any installer who insists you get PPF, even if your vehicle has the aforementioned issues.
When should I replace my paint protection film?
You should replace your paint protection film if…
- It is ripped or damaged.
- There are bubbles beneath the film.
- The film has become dry and crackly.
- The film isn’t stuck in place.
Enquire about paint protection film today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We will always go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘How much is paint protection film?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday to Wednesday – 10 AM—7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday to Sunday – 11 AM—7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)