Unfortunately, car theft has been recorded to be on the rise, and having a contingency just in case you are ever a victim of this crime could save you a lot of time, hassle and can help to lock away a criminal.
In this blog, we will be exploring the question ‘How much is a vehicle tracker?’
At Car Specialist Customs, we are proud to offer a wide variety of options when it comes to making your car a unique expression of who you are, alongside security options that can protect your vehicle. We are excited to share with you the option of our vehicle trackers.
The UK automotive aftermarket industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
So, what is a vehicle tracker?
What is a vehicle tracker?
A vehicle tracker is a small device, varying in shape and size depending on the brand and model you choose. These devices emit a signal which can allow you to view your vehicle’s location, through your phone or computer (this again varies with the brand and model you select.)
Can trackers be hidden in a vehicle?
Yes, you can hide your tracker in your vehicle, as technology has developed, the size of these trackers are small enough to hide within your vehicle.
Who would benefit from a vehicle tracker?
We believe any road user can benefit from a vehicle tracker, just in case your vehicle is stolen. Using the data provided by the tracker, authorities can follow and obtain the vehicle and hopefully arrest the thief.
For those who lease vehicles it can prove to be a massive benefit in instances where there are damages, as it could prove a client went somewhere unsuited for the vehicle.
Are vehicle trackers the best car security option?
Realistically, the best security option for a vehicle is one that prevents theft from taking place. Although trackers are extremely useful and can greatly benefit the owner, there are superior options that actually prevent the car from moving, such as the ghost immobiliser, or Pandora alarm.
How Much is a Vehicle Tracker?
The vehicle trackers we supply range from £200-1500. Naturally, the higher-priced options contain premium features that add more layers to the basic level of tracking available on the affordable options we supply.
Let’s share with you our best vehicle tracker:
The most premium vehicle tracker
The MetaTrack S5 VTS Deadlock is the standard S5 + insurance approved tracking system from industry giant, Meta.
The Meta Trak S5 uses Automatic Driver Recognition (ADR) as its first line of defence against vehicle theft.
Should the ignition be turned on without the ADR tag present the unit will transmit an alert to the control room and a Push Notification to the owner’s mobile phone allowing quick identification of possible theft.
- Automatic Immobilisation – On leaving your vehicle the Metatrak S5 Deadlock Immobiliser will automatically immobilise the vehicle and prevent an engine restart should the driver ADR tag not be detected.
- Remote Immobilisation – In the event of theft, the vehicle can be remotely immobilised by the customer from the Smartphone app or upon Police request via the Meta control room.
- ADR Tag Override – The owner can also activate the Metatrak S5 VTS Deadlock to only release the immobiliser from the mobile phone app, handy if you are concerned about your keys being vulnerable or the vehicle is stolen. Simply turn the ADR option off in the app and should the Metatrak S5 VTS Deadlock detect the ADR tags it will remain immobilised until told to switch off via the smartphone app.
- Driver ID tags included with “no tag, no start” technology.
- Immobilise via mobile app & web application
- OBD port protection (optional)
- 24-hour control room monitoring
- European coverage
- Battery backup
- Journey history & score
- Instant alerts
- Low battery, tamper and geo-fence alerts
- Motion alerts
- 12 & 24 volts compatible
- 1-year warranty
How do I know if my car is being tracked?
Unless you are leasing this car, or its a work vehicle, its tracker is the prerogative of the owner and unless you signed any documentation that states you do not consent to being tracked, there is no further action you can take.
At the very least, contact the vehicle owner if you need to travel more than what was previously agreed.
Unfortunately, there are instances where people use car trackers for more nefarious purposes. However, with a bit of looking you should be able to find if you are being tracked, here is a quick guide on how to find a tracker on a car:
There are two types of trackers, monitored, in which location is shared live. And unmonitored, where location is stored on the device and viewable when the device is in the hands of its user.
There are devices available that can help you detect whether or not your car has a tracker on it. Though there are manual methods of finding out, here are some helpful tips below.
Signs of a tracker in your vehicle:
- A small box or rectangle (usually with wires coming from it)
- Any abnormalities in or outside your car
- Wiring that you can physically see
Where to find a tracker in your vehicle:
- In the wheel-well of your car
- Around your front and back bumpers
- Any crevice or space outside car that is not subject to heat or direct weather.
- In and around the dashboard, including the glove compartment
- Underneath, behind and on the sides of seats
- In your boot and in the spare tire storage.
What to do if you find a tracker in your vehicle:
GPS Trackers are legal, however if someone is tracking your vehicle without your consent, it then becomes illegal. We advise you to ring your local police and have them remove it for you. Hopefully they should have the ability to trace its owner.
Purchase a vehicle tracker today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We always will go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we aim to have provided what you need to know before considering purchasing a vehicle tracker.
We hope to have answered the question ‘How much is a vehicle tracker?’ whilst providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in security systems for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us here:
Monday – Wednesday – 10 AM – 7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday – Sunday – 11 AM – 7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)