Paint protection film, otherwise known as vehicle wrapping, provides a beneficial function in maintaining the physical quality of the vehicle with little to no problem. That’s why in this blog, we will answer the question ‘How does paint protection film work?’
The UK automotive after market industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
That’s why we at Car Specialist Customs are here to provide you with all the information you require to get the best car customisation possible, whilst being as informed as possible.
Is paint protection film the same as a vehicle wrap?
The reason for the names being different could be due to local colloquialisms, or it could be a way to bring forward the benefits of a clear vehicle wrap, by naming it after its function rather than what it is.
Can anyone get a paint protection film?
Yes, paint protection film can be applied on any type of vehicle, understandably, the size and amount of film required will affect the cost of application.
If your vehicle is leased, seek permission from the lease company before making any commitments to apply the film. That being said, as long as the applicator is a reputable customiser like Car Specialist Customs, it should be okay.
Paint protection films protect the vehicle superficially, which is beneficial to lease companies who may receive the car after your term is over.
Can I apply paint protection film myself?
Yes, although there is certain equipment you need, and a specific environment, as well as an extra pair of hands to apply it properly.
Even with these things, if you don’t have the experience, you could end up spending a lot of time and failing to apply it correctly. For peace of mind, it is better to seek help from an expert.
How does paint protection film work?
Paint protection film, otherwise known as a clear vehicle wrap, works by being applied to the body of the vehicle. The film is made from vinyl, which allows for moderate protection against light scratches, UV damage that would affect the paint of the vehicle, and stains that could affect the paintwork.
What can’t paint protection film protect?
Paint protection film does not protect the vehicle from…
- Heavy impact.
- Scrapes and scratches as a result of vandalism or crashes/some accidents.
- Certain chemicals found in some vehicle cleaning products.
Does paint protection film require maintenance?
Yes, although your vehicle won’t need to be cleaned as regularly, it does require specific methods, either using no cleaning products, or ‘vehicle wrap friendly’ cleaning products.
Appropriate cleaning routines will result in the protection film lasting up to 7 years. This is also dependent on the quality of your paint protection film.
Good vs bad paint protection film
A good paint protection film looks like…
- Securely attached to the vehicle body.
- No bubbles present under the film.
- No peeling, or hard textured areas on the film.
A bad paint protection film looks like…
- Can be moved even when applied
- Bubbles under the wrap
- Peeling, has hard textured areas
- Cracks or other inconsistencies on the wrap
- Wrap wears away within a year
- Wrap is incorrectly applied
Professional paint protection film application
Using established vehicle modifiers is the best way to get your vehicle wrapped. Due to their experience, and the equipment they have on hand, there is less room for error.
When we wrap your vehicle, we make sure to…
- Discuss what kind of wrap you want, and where you would like it.
- Measure the vehicle / relevant areas where the wrap will be applied.
- Clean the vehicle / relevant areas before applying
- Begin our process of application to your vehicle
- Inform you of any maintenance / dos and don’ts when it comes to the longevity of the wrap.
Does paint protection film go over my number plate?
No, paint protection film will cover the body of your vehicle, having a vinyl over the number plate may make it difficult to read for ANPR systems etc. If you are considering reinforcing a number plate, gel plates are a perfectly legal option.
Does paint protection film ruin the paint?
No, this would defeat the purpose of a paint protection film, if the application is done properly, paint will not be affected. On the contrary, paint protection film offers protection to the paintwork of the vehicle. They provide protection of the vehicle against UV rays, minor scuffs and scratches, and dust.
However, there can be certain circumstances in which the paint can be impacted. This includes…
- Improper removal of the paint protection film could potentially damage the paintwork.
- If certain adverse chemicals or contaminants are left on the wrap for an extended period, it could impact the wrap and the paint beneath it. Destroying or weakening it
- Using a sub-par or inadequate paint protection film that isn’t certified can alter the vehicle’s paintwork.
- Stencilling the vehicle prior to and during the application of the film. If the blade used to cut the vinyl is mishandled, there is every chance your vehicle can end up with a scrape.
- Wrapping the vehicle when it already has a bad paint job, or fading/affected paint.
- Cleaning the wrapped vehicle with products that aren’t friendly to vehicle wraps can definitely damage the film, which in turn could impact the underlying paintwork.
Put simply, doing your due diligence will result in your paint protection film being effective, long-lasting and no ill effects on your vehicle upon removal. It’s mostly common sense!
Purchase paint protection film today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We will always go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘How does paint protection film work?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday to Wednesday – 10 AM—7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday to Sunday – 11 AM—7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)