As contactless theft becomes an ever-growing threat to car safety, it’s understandable that many are looking into aftermarket security solutions, one of which is the Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser.
The statistics are worrying as there was a reported 108,542 theft of motor vehicles between 2021 and 2022. What makes this more alarming is that with the advance in technology, keyless entry has become a common feature that criminals capitalise on by finding ways to ‘hack’ the mechanism and break into your car in as little as 20-30 seconds.
Keyless car crime is a seriously frightening trend. In the UK, on average, a car is stolen every 10 minutes. These days, criminals are using an advanced technique called relay attack, to hack into cars and drive them away. Here, professional thieves work together to copy the signals of a victim’s car keys, disable the car’s telematics, and then manipulate the car into starting.
What is a Ghost Immobiliser and how does it work?
Ghost immobilisers are used to add another layer of protection to your vehicles and make it harder for them to be stolen or otherwise entered. It serves to protect keys, combat key cloning, hacking or keyless entry and essentially stop thieves from getting your vehicle.
We found that no matter where you live or park your vehicle, it can be prone to thieves – that’s why ghost immobilisers can be so important in this modern age.
They work by preventing your engine from working unless an additional, unique pin number or code sequence is entered alongside your key fob. This helps to prevent thieves from driving away with your vehicle, which may encourage them to leave it alone altogether.
Your chosen pin code can be entered by pressing a pattern of existing electronic buttons on your steering wheel, in an app, on the door panel or on the central console.
Because the device is invisible, you have the added benefit of stealth, which can prevent anyone from trying to tamper with it, and the device only takes seconds to use, yet can save you countless hours trying to recover your vehicle once it has been stolen.
One of the most attractive features of the ghost immobiliser is the fact that it can be fitted without any marks on the internal body of the vehicle. This means that it leaves no lasting damage to your car, which can be highly attractive for those who plan on reselling or developing their existing model.
Car care is a big part of the world today, with a study concluding that 63% of people like to clean their car because it is a pride and joy in their life. With more and more people putting emphasis on their cars, it’s only natural for some to choose to improve their security at the same time with the use of a ghost immobiliser.
The device is also low-maintenance and incredibly hard to detect. It has a connection to the CAN (Controller Area Network) and operates through the ECU (Engine Control Unit), and can be installed in a hidden location, works silently, has no radio signals and is unrecognisable to the untrained eye.
For added security, only the ghost immobiliser fitters themselves are aware of the location of the device, and the car owner, at their own discretion.
Whilst a wheel lock can be cut off, a car’s wires can be jumped, or a universal key can be applied, a ghost immobiliser cannot be found or detected in time to make a speedy getaway.
One of its added benefits is that, if you choose to be, you can be the only person who knows where it is located, and that it even exists. Because of this, thieves can be left wondering why your vehicle will not start, which can lead to them assuming that it is broken and leaving it be.
Ghost Immobilisers are not Thatcham approved, this is because the method that the Ghost Immobiliser works on does not have a banding category within the Thatcham mode of certification anymore, this is alongside vehicle trackers, as they are aftermarket security measures.
Despite this, since March 2020, The Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser is TASSA approved and recognised by some insurers.
TASSA stands for ‘Tracking and aftermarket security systems association’ a legally recognised body that deals with the certification of security & tracking devices installed after the purchase of a vehicle.
So even though Ghost Immobilisers don’t have Thatcham approval, you still do have the approval of TASSA, an established and trusted organisation in its own right.
Ghost Immobiliser alternatives
Ghost Immobiliser reviews we have gotten are indicative of the effectiveness of Ghost Immobilisers. However, there are alternatives for those who want extra peace of mind, such as the Pandora Alarm.
Alternatively, you may be on the market just for a tracker, which we also sell a wide array of.
Ghost Immobiliser features
- Engine start blocking – The Auto watch Ghost II Immobiliser will prevent the starting of the engine unless the unique, user-defined PIN code has been entered first.
- Undetectable using diagnostics – A modern thief can use diagnostics to detect circuit cuts on modern vehicles. The Auto watch Ghost II Immobiliser has no circuit cuts so it cannot be found using these methods.
- No radio frequency signals – Thieves cannot use sophisticated RF scanning, code-grabbing technology to detect what security device your vehicle has when it does not transmit any signals like conventional security systems.
- CAN Network Optimisation – The use of the CAN data bus has several advantages including low risk during installation, low probability of detection, and allowing for placement almost anywhere in the vehicle.
- Silent operation – Because the unit communicates with the ECU on the data bus to immobilise the vehicle there is no way a thief could listen for the tell-tale clicking of a traditional immobiliser relay.
- Stops key cloning and ECU swapping – A thief cannot simply add a new key or replace an ECU to bypass the Autowatch Ghost II Immobiliser and start the vehicle. Only a correct PIN code will allow the engine to start.
- Tested for each vehicle – Due to the nature of the data bus communication, the Autowatch Ghost II Immobiliser has been adapted and tested for every vehicle we list as compatible. If we list your vehicle you can be sure we have thoroughly tested its operation with the Autowatch Ghost II Immobiliser.
- Emergency PIN code override – If the PIN code is forgotten, the car is sold, or a button is broken there is a secure, unique reset code for each device.
- Service / Valet mode – Service mode allows your vehicle to temporarily start and drive without requiring the PIN code. The Auto watch Ghost II Immobiliser will exit service mode based on speed and time or by simply entering the PIN code.
- Simple PIN code change process – At any time, you can easily change the PIN code. Only you will know the unique PIN code for your vehicle.
- Weatherproof tiny device – The Autowatch Ghost II Immobiliser is sealed and so small it can be installed and wrapped into the vehicle harness anywhere in the vehicle making it near impossible for a thief to find.
- Uses the vehicle’s original buttons to enter the PIN code – Uses the vehicle’s original buttons to enter the PIN code. The buttons in modern vehicles send data all around the vehicle which allows us to detect many different keys being pressed without extra wiring.
- Mobile Application Available – To make security even easier Auto watch has created a special application for your iOS & Android mobile phones that allows you to just get in and drive away.
Get in touch
If you’d like more information about our services and products, or clarity on how we can help you, don’t hesitate to get in contact with us. Our specialist team provide around-the-clock quality care and services to help you find the product or service that fits your needs.
To reach us and get more information today, you can contact Car Specialist Customs at 07523 971347 or use our email at firstname.lastname@example.org for the quickest responses and swift support from members of our team.
Alternatively, if you prefer to browse independently, you can find a portfolio of our work here with plenty of photos to show off our quality. Whatever you choose to do, we have no doubt that you’ll find what you’re looking for with us.
We at Car Specialist Customs hope this has been an insightful and helpful resource for you, answering questions you may have had whilst providing an in-depth and thorough breakdown of our services along with the top-quality products that we offer. We also have a blog page with multiple articles addressing the questions you may be looking for. Have a read by clicking here.