All cars come with a car alarm, so is it worth adding extra security measures such as a GPS tracker? In this blog, we at Car Specialist Customs will tell you everything you need to know about Car alarms vs. GPS trackers: The best security solutions for your vehicle.
At Car Specialist Customs, we are proud to offer a wide variety of options when it comes to making your car a unique expression of who you are, alongside security options that can protect your vehicle. We are excited to share with you the option of our vehicle trackers.
The UK automotive aftermarket industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
What is a car alarm?
A car alarm is the stock security measure that is applied to most if not all vehicles (some may differ depending on the make and year of the vehicle). Car alarms are used to ensure the owner of the vehicle is alerted if any potential thieves attempt to steal the vehicle.
Car alarms react to any tampering with the vehicle that is forceful. Unfortunately, thieves do have certain methods to bypass alarms. This is especially true for keyless entry vehicles.
Keyless entry vehicles
Keyless entry vehicles enable a vehicle to be unlocked when the owner is beside the vehicle, they don’t physically have to unlock their car. Some vehicles don’t need the key in the ignition to start either, they become activated once the keys are in the car.
Yet again, thieves use specialist equipment that results in your vehicle believing it has its assigned keys next to it, which allows them to enter and take the vehicle. The equipment they use is known to hijack the signal of your keys.
In this instance, having a Faraday box or case for your keys would be useful as they actively jam the outgoing signal from your keys, meaning that thieves can’t intercept it.
Car alarm vs GPS car tracker: Best security solutions for your vehicle.
So is it worth just sticking with your regular car alarm? Or is a GPS car tracker going to be worth the investment? Well, we’ve laid out the pros and cons of both car alarms and GPS trackers, so you can come to an informed conclusion based on the facts.
The following comparison in relation to car alarms is purely limited to the stock car alarms that come with every vehicle. Any exceptions to this will be highlighted in the bullet points.
Car alarm benefits:
- The alarm is loud enough to be heard from a distance, along with the flashing of the head and taillights, this is enough of a deterrent for any thief trying their luck.
- Standard car alarms are also set off by a certain amount of force, this is why there are instances of car alarms going off after they have been crashed into.
- Newer vehicles have features in which the car will not start unless the key is in the vehicle, which is a massive obstacle for some thieves who may manage to get into the vehicle and bypass the alarm
Car alarm downsides:
- If the thief is familiar with the vehicle, they can easily bypass the alarm system
- On some occasions, car alarms can go off without any apparent cause. This is an inconvenience and disturbance, and (no pun intended) a false alarm which can have others within the vicinity worried.
- Unfortunately, newer vehicles that have keyless entry can be bypassed through a various illegal devices that trick the vehicle into thinking its designated key is there.
GPS tracker benefits
- Can be used in conjunction with a regular car alarm, providing an extra layer of security.
- Depending on the kind of car tracker you have, you can see your vehicle’s location live, regardless of how far you are away from it.
- Vehicle trackers are ideal for those in business in which they have vehicles that are used by their workers, or rented out to customers etc.
GPS tracker downsides
- GPS trackers can be bypassed through certain illegal technologies.
- Depending on the model of tracker you choose, there are no additional features that prevent thieves from entering your vehicle.
- For those with limited or no internet access, GPS trackers can be difficult to make the most use of.
How are GPS car trackers installed?
This is subjective to the model of vehicle tracker you select, and who you choose to install it, using a professional service like Car Specialist Customs, enables you to have your tracker installed to a degree where it is undetectable (at your discretion of course.)
Our years of experience have granted us the expertise to install vehicle trackers seamlessly. We also test the devices and your vehicle rigorously to ensure we have not made any mistakes, and if we have, we fix them.
Where can I buy a GPS car tracker?
Car Specialist Customs offer a wide range of GPS trackers for your vehicle, ranging from £250-£1500. Of course, our trackers which are premium in price, are also premium in terms of their features and reliability. Whether you want the best of the best or entry-level GPS trackers, we have you covered.
Installation costs vary as installation time and work needed may change depending on the interior and electronics of your car. We install to a high standard, we make sure that not only is the tracker impossible to find by the naked eye, it’s also tested to make sure it works before being handed over to you.
Other providers may have installation options, but we can guarantee that our process is refined, and intricate and we leave no room for mistakes. Our years of experience and countless positive reviews only serve to highlight our high standard of expertise.
Contact us today for a quote!
Upgrade your security today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We always will go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we aim to have provided what you need to know before considering purchasing a vehicle tracker.
We hope to have highlighted the facts between a car alarm vs. a GPS tracker: Best security solutions for your vehicle, whilst providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in security systems for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us here:
Monday – Wednesday – 10 AM – 7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday – Sunday – 11 AM – 7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)