Vehicle wraps provide a whole host of benefits, but there may be occasions where you have no choice but to remove the wrapping, but are they stuck on permanently? Can vehicle wraps be removed?
The UK automotive after market industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
That’s why we at Car Specialist Customs are here to provide you with all the information you require to get the best car customisation possible, whilst being as informed as possible.
What is a vehicle wrap? And do I need one?
A vehicle wrap is a layer of vinyl that is applied to the bodywork of your vehicle, it is similar in application to window tints, but has different outcomes. They mainly hold aesthetic benefits, but also provide some practical outcomes.
Vehicle wraps can…
- Protect your vehicle’s paintwork from being damaged by UV rays.
- Protect your vehicle’s paintwork from superficial scrapes and scratches.
- Can protect from stains.
- Can be a great way to market your product, if you also happen to be a business owner.
The three forms of vehicle wrapping
- Clear Vinyl Wrapping – This is a transparent layer of wrapping, ideal for those who want the protection provided by wraps, but don’t want to change the look of their vehicle.
- Colour Vinyl Wrapping – This form can change the colour of your vehicle without painting it, or can be used to alter the tone of your vehicle.
- Advertising Wraps – This form of wrapping is unique, and is subject to the specifications of the customer. Handy for businesses that are independent or commercial. These wraps are commonly used on F1 cars or other racing vehicles.
You need a vehicle wrap if…
So now we know the basics of a vehicle wrap, how do you know if you need one? Well, you need a vehicle wrap if…
- You want to protect the paintwork of your vehicle.
- You want to change the colour or tone of your vehicle without having it painted.
- You want a custom design on your vehicle.
Can vehicle wraps be removed?
Yes, vehicle wraps can be removed, they are not a permanent modification. Here are the occasions in which your vehicle wrapped must be removed.
- If your wrap is too old, and is peeling.
- If your wrap was incorrectly applied.
- If your wrap has been ordered for removal by law enforcement or another relevant body.
- If your wrap is degrading due to poor maintenance.
- If your wrap is due for a change.
How should you remove a wrap?
Removing a vehicle wrap can be tedious without the right equipment. That being said, don’t attempt to remove the wrap without the two key things that you need. A hairdryer/ heat gun, and a form of scraper that does not damage that vehicle’s paintwork.
To remove vehicle wraps, you should…
- Activate your dryer/heat gun
- Point it at the edge of where your wrapping begins
- Slowly begin to peel the wrapping from the edge, as the heat makes it loose. You can use the scraper to assist the initial peel.
- Follow the wrapping as it peels, making sure to consistently apply the heat as you go.
- Repeat this process until it is removed.
Not using any heat whilst trying to remove a vehicle wrap will surely damage your vehicle’s paintwork. Either through scraping the edge of the wrap to pry it loose, or on the body of the vehicle as you abruptly rip the wrap off.
Heat plays a vital role in loosening the vinyl to a degree where it is easier to remove. If you are removing the vinyl yourself, do not neglect this step.
What is the best way to have a vehicle wrapped?
Going through an established vehicle modifier is the best way to get your vehicle wrapped. This is because their experience, along with the equipment they have on hand, leads to a less room for error.
So when we wrap your vehicle, we make sure to…
- Discuss what kind of wrap you want, and where you would like it.
- Measure the vehicle / relevant areas where the wrap will be applied.
- Clean the vehicle / relevant areas before applying
- Begin our process of application to your vehicle
- Inform you of any maintenance / dos and don’ts when it comes to the longevity of the wrap.
How much does it cost to wrap a vehicle?
The cost of our vehicle wraps are subject to the size of your vehicle, the style of wrapping you want, in addition to any specific areas you want to wrap. (If it isn’t around the whole body of the vehicle).
Is it cheaper to paint a vehicle or get it wrapped?
In most occasions, wrapping a vehicle would be cheaper than getting it painted. This is because wraps take less time to prepare and apply, with fewer materials required.
Painting, on the other hand, requires more than one layer for a proper coating. In addition, painting requires more preparation, and more materials, including safety equipment for the painter of the vehicle.
That being said, every vehicle modifier offers their own rates for their services, so there may be occasions where it is cheaper to paint a vehicle. Regardless, wrapping a vehicle is the quickest method to find the colour you want, whilst adding a layer of protection over the vehicle.
Can you wrap a leased vehicle?
This is subject to the stipulations of the lease provider, who you should check with before doing anything. Generally, wrapping a leased vehicle shouldn’t be a problem, as it can be removed once your lease is over, which can’t be said if you chose to paint your leased vehicle instead.
Secure a vehicle wrap today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We will always go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘Can vehicle wraps be removed?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday to Wednesday – 10 AM—7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday to Sunday – 11 AM—7 PM
TELEPHONE: 07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)