Paint protection film is a useful and economical accessory to your vehicle that can help to retain the value, and physical appearance of your vehicle. But can paint protection film be removed?
The UK automotive after market industry is thriving, ranking fourth in Europe and ninth in the world in terms of size, and turning over an annual £21.1 billion.
The sector supports 345,600 jobs and contributes £12.2 billion each year to the economy. And it is growing: the sector’s value is set to rise to £28 billion by 2022.
That’s why we at Car Specialist Customs are here to provide you with all the information you require to get the best car customisation possible, whilst being as informed as possible.
Paint protection film – What is it?
Paint protection film is a form of vinyl wrap that is placed over the body of the vehicle. It is commonly referred to as a vehicle wrap. Vehicle wraps come in multiple forms, they are:
- A clear vehicle wrap – This is paint protection film.
- Coloured vehicle wrap – This is an alternative to painting a vehicle, placing a coloured wrap over the vehicle instead.
- Custom wrap—A custom vehicle wrap is made to the specification of the client, this can be anything from shapes to advertising a business.
Paint protection film provides a thin film of vinyl over the body of the vehicle. This layer provides a level of protection against day to day scratches and scuffs, and other issues that you can experience in general driving situations on normal roads or motorways.
Can anyone get a paint protection film?
Yes, paint protection film can be applied on any type of vehicle, understandably, the size and amount of film required will affect the cost of application.
If your vehicle is leased, seek permission from the lease company before making any commitments to apply the film. That being said, as long as the applicator is a reputable customiser like Car Specialist Customs, it should be okay.
Paint protection films protect the vehicle superficially, which is beneficial to lease companies who may receive the car after your term is over.
Can I apply paint protection film myself?
Yes, although there is certain equipment you need, and a specific environment, as well as an extra pair of hands to apply it properly.
Even with these things, if you don’t have the experience, you could end up spending a lot of time and failing to apply it correctly. For peace of mind, it is better to seek help from an expert.
Can paint protection film protect against accidents?
No, it will not prevent your car from being dented or destroyed in an accident. Regardless of whatever protection you get on your vehicle, you should always drive cautiously and safely.
Paint protection film protects against minor scratches and scuffs. Examples of what paint protection film can protect against are the following:
- Small bits of earth that are blown over motorways. These are common and can be seen under certain angles on a vehicle without paint protection film.
- Slow-speed scrape – Be mindful, that this particular protection is completely subjective to the vehicle that comes into contact with yours, including its speed and weight.
- Keying vehicles – Subject to PPF quality, if your vehicle is keyed, it can prevent damage on the paintwork, but may damage the PPF.
- Damage from UV rays – Ultraviolet rays are emitted from the sun, after years of exposure, your paint can fade, and not look as vibrant or fresh as it did upon manufacturing. Vinyl wraps, like window tints, prevent a significant amount of UV rays from bombarding your vehicle.
Can paint protection film be removed?
Yes, paint protection film can be removed. Subject to the PPF quality, If cared for correctly, paint protection film can last up to 7 years. Whether the PPF is being removed a year into its application, or 7 years, the removal process is the same.
Peeling the vinyl wrap from the vehicle involves heating the wrap as you peel it away. It is best to seek the removal from an expert, who can do it for you if you’re replacing the PPF with another that they will apply.
Can PPF damage the paint?
There can be certain circumstances in which the paint can be impacted. This includes…
- Improper removal of the paint protection film could potentially damage the paintwork.
- If certain adverse chemicals or contaminants are left on the wrap for an extended period, it could impact the wrap and the paint beneath it. Destroying or weakening it
- Using a sub-par or inadequate paint protection film that isn’t certified can alter the vehicle’s paintwork.
- Stencilling the vehicle prior to and during the application of the film. If the blade used to cut the vinyl is mishandled, there is every chance your vehicle can end up with a scrape.
- Wrapping the vehicle when it already has a bad paint job, or fading/affected paint.
- Cleaning the wrapped vehicle with products that aren’t friendly to vehicle wraps can definitely damage the film, which in turn could impact the underlying paintwork.
Where to get Paint protection film?
Using established, and certified vehicle modifiers is the best way to get your vehicle wrapped with PPF. Due to their experience, and the equipment they have on hand, there is less room for any error.
When we wrap your vehicle, we make sure to…
- Discuss what kind of wrap you want, and where you would like it.
- Measure the vehicle / relevant areas where the wrap will be applied.
- Clean the vehicle / relevant areas before applying
- Begin our process of application to your vehicle
- Inform you of any maintenance / dos and don’ts when it comes to the longevity of the wrap.
Purchase paint protection film today
As a fully insured and approved installer, catering to the needs of vehicle owners of Greater Manchester and beyond, we are proud to let you know that we offer services for the following:
Featuring the brands, Pandora, ScorpionTrak, Meta Trak & SmarTrack, we’ve included affordable, and premium products to suit the needs of our customers. With finance options available, and the option of installation, head to our website to get your quote!
We will always go above expectations to make your car feel special to you. With even more services and options becoming available in the future, Car Specialist Customs is the home of making any car unique, secure and special.
See what we can do for you today, we hope the details we shared have helped you decide to take a step forward in personalising your vehicle with our unique service.
We hope to have answered the question ‘Can paint protection film be removed?’ whilst also providing supplementary information that can help you make an informed choice when it comes to investing in customisation options for your vehicle.
Want to get in touch? You can find us right here:
Monday to Wednesday – 10 AM—7 PM
Thursday – Closed
Friday to Sunday – 11 AM—7 PM
07523 971347 (Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 6:00 pm)